These oatmeal flax blueberry muffins are so simple and stunning with a crumbled topping and a drizzle of glaze.
For the muffins
- 1/2 cup rolled oats or old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or regular milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted butter,melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground flaxmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
For the crumbly topping and glaze
- 1 tablespoon cold butter,cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.If you're not using paper liners,grease a muffin tin with butter and dust it with flour,shaking off the excess.This makes it much easier to get the muffins out.🙂
- Combine the oats and buttermilk in a mixing bowl.Let the oats soak for 15-20 minutes.Add the melted butter,egg,brown sugar,and vanilla.Stir by hand until just combined.
- Add the flour,flaxmeal,baking powder,baking soda,and salt.Stir again until evenly moistened.
- Before adding the blueberries,scoop a spoonful of batter into each muffin tin.This provides a nice solid base and prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.Gently fold the blueberries into the remaining batter and divide evenly between the muffin tins.Place 2-3 additional blueberries at the very top center of each muffin,just to make 'em pretty.
- For the crumbly topping,press the butter,flour,and brown sugar together with your fingers until fine crumbs form.Sprinkle one spoonful of crumbs over each muffin before baking.
- Bake muffins for 13-15 minutes,or until golden brown.While the muffins are cooling,stir the powdered sugar and milk together to make a glaze.Drizzle a little glaze over each muffin before serving.
I like these muffins best after they're cooled because you can taste the nuttiness in the oats and flax more.They also hold their shape better when they're cooled.